Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and for those of us with a sweet tooth, you can start it the right way with these delicious recipes.
#1 BAKED ORANGE FRENCH TOAST
- 7 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 8 slices of bread
- Powdered sugar (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In medium bowl, beat together eggs, juice, milk, sugar, zest, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Place bread in a single layer in a 13 x 9 pan. (I used to so I would not have to do 2 batches.)
- Pour egg mixture over bread. Let soak, turning once until liquid is absorbed. About 5 minutes.
- Place bread slices in a single layer on a buttered baking sheet. (I used 2 baking sheets.)
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Turn slices
- Continue baking 10 to 12 minutes, until browned.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired and serve.
Source: Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom
#2 PUMPKIN FRENCH TOAST
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 9 slices Texas toast (or other white bread such as Challah or French bread)
- Butter, for griddle
- Preheat an electric griddle to 350 degrees (a non-stick skillet set over medium heat also works fine).
- In a mixing bowl whisk together milk, pumpkin puree, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger until well combined. Pour into a shallow dish.
- Butter griddle and dip bread into egg mixture (allowing a few seconds for it to absorb mixture. I also squeeze gently to soak the mixture to center), then rotate and coat opposite side. Transfer to griddle and cook until golden brown on bottom, then lift, butter griddle once more and flip French toast to opposite side and cook until golden brown.
- Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.
Source: Cooking Classy
#3 CARAMELIZED FRENCH TOAST
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄8 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp butter, divided
- 8 slice bread
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup (up to 1/2) boiling water
- Beat together eggs, milk, and salt in a shallow dish. Dip bread one at a time into egg mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a nonstick frying pan or skillet over medium high heat. Working in batches, cook bread for 2-3 minutes per side until golden. After 4 slices have been cooked, melt 2 tablespoons butter and cook remaining bread.
- Once all of the bread has been cooked, reduce heat to medium. Add 1 tablespoon butter and brown sugar to the pan and stir constantly. When the mixture starts to melt, slowly add boiling water a little bit at a time until the sauce is desired consistency. When all of the sugar has melted, gently boil for a couple minutes while continuing to stir until the sauce is bubbly and has thickened. Place French toast in caramel sauce. Turn to coat, then remove from pan.
Source: Kitch Me
#4 STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE STUFFED FRENCH TOAST
- 8 (1-inch thick) slices bread
- 4 ounces (1/2 of an 8-oz. package) cream cheese, at room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups diced strawberries, divided
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Unsalted butter, for cooking
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Cut a wide pocket into each slice of bread without cutting all the way through the bread.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the cream cheese, vanilla extract, lemon juice, lemon zest and 1/2 cup diced strawberries until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Slather a portion of the cream cheese mixture inside each bread pocket and press each bread pocket closed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, cinnamon and sugar.
- Place a large pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter. Once the butter has melted, dip each stuffed slice of toast into the egg mixture on all sides and shake off any excess. Place the bread immediately into the pan and cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Flip once and continue cooking until golden, about 2 minutes. Repeat the coating the cooking process with the remaining slices of bread. (Do not overcrowd the pan.)
- Serve the French toast immediately topped with maple syrup and the remaining diced strawberries.
Source: Just a Taste
#5 APPLE CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST
- 2 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 6 slices white bread
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup flour
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Optional: powdered sugar
- Add apple slices, brown sugar, and butter in a medium sauce pan. Cook over medium high heat until brown sugar has dissolved and butter has melted. Add vanilla and cinnamon and reduce heat to simmer, cook 6-8 minutes longer. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly and thicken while you prepare toast.
- In a large, wide bowl whisk together eggs, vanilla, milk, and cinnamon. Stir in flour and whisk until smooth. Completely submerge one slice of bread in the mixture, careful to coat both sides. Lift the bread out of the liquid and allow to drip off excess.
- Cook toast in a large pan over medium heat 1-2 minutes until lightly browned, then flip and cook other side 1-2 minutes. Repeat with remaining bread slices.
- Generously top toasts with apple-cinnamon mixture. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Source: Creme de la Crumb