According to The Better Sleep Council, the way a person sleeps can indicate their personality traits. So the SleepSells Team, with a little help from Simmons Brand Manager Sharvari Dayal, took a little time to document a few of the most popular positions and traits. From the Free Fall to the Starfish, learn more about each position and gain new insight into your customers.
For more on The Better Sleep Council or these sleep positions, click here.
- FREE FALL POSITION - People who lie on their bellies with arms under or wrapped around a pillow with head turned to the side make up 7% of the population studied. Free fallers are brash, outgoing, and are very uncomfortable with criticism.
- STARFISH POSITION - 5% of sleepers lie on their backs with arms up near their head or the pillow. These people are good listeners, helpful, and are uncomfortable being the center of attention. Starfish sleepers are more likely to snore and suffer from a poor night's sleep more often.
- LOG POSITION - The study showed 15% of people sleep like a log. Log sleepers rest on their side with both arms down. They are usually social, easygoing people who are trusting, sometimes to the point of being gullible.
- SOLDIER POSITION – 8% of people lie on their backs with arms down and close to the body. These soldier sleepers are said to be reserved, quiet, unfussy, and hold themselves and others to a high standard. They typically have a higher likelihood for snoring due to the flat-back position, which may not cause them to wake up often but may result in a less restful night's sleep.
- FETUS POSITION – This is the most common position, according to a Better Sleep Council study. 41% of participants sleep in this curled-up manner. Women are twice as likely to rest like this. These fetus-sleepers are said to have a tough exterior but are still sensitive and may appear to be shy but warm up quickly.
- YEARNER POSITION - This is a side-lying position with both arms out in front of the body; 13% of participants sleep like this. Yearners are noted to be open-minded but still cynical, suspicious, and stubborn about sticking to decisions once they are made.